miniReview: SkinFood Pineapple Peeling Gel + Pineapple Allergy?

11.17.2010

Update 11/24/2010
Ok I lied - I'm not actually allergic to pinapples or the Skinfood Pinapple Peeling Gel at all.   I was reacting to the Philosophy Hope In A Jar moisturizer.  Read my full post about it here.


Guess what? So I had a most unpleasant surprise last Friday - I found out that I'm allergic to pineapples. Interestingly, I can eat the raw fruit just fine, so how did I find out about this allergy?  Well, of the thousands of fruit-products out there I decided to try the Skinfood Pineapple Peeling Gel.



A deep peeling gel with Pineapple Extracts that exfoliate the skin, thus enhancing skin turnover.
From YesAsia.com.

It worked very well on my brother (he's my guinea pig wbahaha). He legit turned 2-3 shades lighter and his skin tone evened out a lot (and many reviews concur this is a nice buy).   So with high hopes I smeared this liberally on my face and because I love you all so much I shall reveal to you exactly how I spent my weekend:




....yes, that is my extremely resentful eye staring at you. And yes, even my tear ducts were swollen -___-   I'm afraid I don't have the cajones to put my entire miserable face up but I think you get the idea ;) So, basically I broke out with hives all over my face ~7-10 hrs later and itched like a madwomen for about 3-4 days.  I took nothing but Claritin (works better on me than Benadryl) and abstained from all makeup/lotions except a gentle cleanser for 4 days. I didn't scar at all but it was a trial for my patience since I couldn't scratch anything.

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure if it's pineapple that caused this or something else in the Skinfood Peeling Gel.  Since I can still eat pineapples and I got hives just on my face, I am exploring the possibility that my allergy may be to some other ingredient.  I'm currently spot-testing myself (must be my lab rat side coming out) to narrow the possibilities.  Either way, this peel is most certainly not for me since I know it was the peel that caused it, pineapple or no.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I read that people allergic to either mangoes, pineapples, or kiwis (all acidic fruits) tend to be allergic/sensitive to all three of these fruits.  I broke out in hives around my mouth in HS because I developed an allergy to mangoes (*sigh* I must have been asked if I had an STD 100x) so I guess I should not be surprised I've developed some kind of sensitivity to pineapples as well.  I love kiwis so I hope that I won't become allergic to that too >_>  Something that kind of supports my allergy theory (tho still unconfirmed) is that my brother is not allergic to mangoes and he took to this gel like a fish to water.

To clarify, this isn't a review of the Skinfood Pineapple Peel, it's more of a warning to those allergic to mangoes, pineapples or kiwis to avoid this peel because you may not react well to it.  Otherwise, it's fairly cheap ($12 at YesAsia) and my brother and other people got a very good result from the gel; give it a wing if you wish~

25 comments :

  1. :( sorry to hear that it gives you allergy!! hope your skin will recover soon!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Elle! It must have been such a torturing experience! I am impressed with your perseverance not to scratch... =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way! I can eat them just fine, but I tried a pineapple cleanser a while back and it made me break out in hives as well orz;;

    I hope you're doing fine now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw hun, nothing worse than a product that should've been wonderful and turns out to be totally unsuited for your skin...*hug* I hope everything's cleared up nicely by now...

    I'm allergic to peppers (eating them, I mean)... I hated finding that out, because peppers are used in everything :( I'm also allergic to aspirin (very allergic), so I never get to try an aspirin mask, eventhough they say it does wonders to your skin

    Allergies are bleeeh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you get better soon, that's such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, Elle!! I'm so sorry to hear that :[ ugh, you must have been miserable those couple of days... Thank you for the headsup! I am even afraid to try it... :/ Hope it goes away quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh no ! =( hope that you are better now! thats good that you didn't get any scarring! you have so much patience.. i would be scratching the helllll out of my face =S i have a scratching problem. i have eczema and get rashes often from various things..

    get well soon! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. awwww! :( i had that happen to me too with a certain mask.. i forget which one it was... it made my face have all these bumps... i know how u feel! :( its a horrible feeling! but i hope its getting better!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch..so sorry you have a severe reaction to this peel. It may not be the pineapple, I don't think they put that much concentration into the peel. It is probably from other substances. Hope your skin heal really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, that's awful. I'm so sorry you had to experience that all weekend. :( Do your parents know Korean good enough to look at the ingredients? Wah hope you're all better now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg that really sucked! Im glad that you got all better without any scars but the itching must've been BAD! This makes me more weary of ingredients now since I've haven't had bad reaction to anything yet but Im scared I will! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should've seen the amount of pics that proceeded this one on my PhotoBooth ^.^ Hadn't you seen my face yet? It's true I don't post a lot of face pics... not intentionally though :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. yikes! sorry you had to go through that!!! i'm thinking it's probably NOT the pineapple... b/c like you said, you can still eat it... it's probably some unknown mystery ingredient *dun dun dunnnn* ;P thanks for the warning :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my gosh, i'm so sorry you had that allergic reaction! thanks for the heads up, though. and i hope you feel better. :)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness! I'm sorry for what happened to you. Aw, you're allergic to 2 fruits that I love to eat :( I'm glad you didn't get any scars. I hope you're better now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no! Having such an allergic reaction must have been scary! I'm glad your skin didn't scar but that sounds like it was awful to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm terribly sorry to hear/see your skin in such a condition ;-/ I can't imagine being allergic to mangos ! But I am allergic to prawns which sucks/makes me sad because I love the taste of prawns so much.

    It's so strange how people are more sensitive & allergic to foods these days than in the past. Maybe it's due to the environmental factors of the 21st century !

    Thanks so much for your dedication to your blog readers and your honesty ! Seriously, how much bloggers would put up a picture of their resentful (;-P), swollen tear ducts ? You're amazing ! <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. omg ouch!!!
    that totally sucks ><
    considering how well it worked for your brother,
    you had high hopes and it just didn't work too well...
    i hate when that happens...

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh gosh i hope your skin is much better now!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG, so sorry that this happens to you. Hope your skin will be better by now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. omg ouch!!!
    that totally sucks ><
    considering how well it worked for your brother,
    you had high hopes and it just didn't work too well...
    i hate when that happens...

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh gosh i hope your skin is much better now!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. yikes! sorry you had to go through that!!! i'm thinking it's probably NOT the pineapple... b/c like you said, you can still eat it... it's probably some unknown mystery ingredient *dun dun dunnnn* ;P thanks for the warning :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm the same way! I can eat them just fine, but I tried a pineapple cleanser a while back and it made me break out in hives as well orz;;

    I hope you're doing fine now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels