Review: L'Oreal Hip Duo Crystal Shadow in Darling

2.08.2011


L’Oreal HIP Studio Secrets Professional Crystal Shadow Duos line is one of the most popular drugstore eyeshadows. I'm not entirely sure why, but I'll get into that later.



Cost: $8 @ Walmart (& other drugstores). Damn pricey for two drugstore shadows.

Packaging: It's interesting packaging, but also clunky. I don't know why they had to devote a whole separate section for one sponge tip.  The plastic also feels a little flimsy and light.  On the upside, it stays closed and I have no problems with it popping open and spilling shadow fallout everywhere (which it has plenty of).

Texture: Picking it up is a problem, it's very prone to fallout.  Sponges or fingers work better than brushes in this case honestly.  I usually just use sponge tips anyway ^^  However, once you get it onto your skin it's pretty easy to blend and leaves a silky sheen.  However, there is so much fallout!  Just look at my finger swatches and the powder around the edges of the palette in the first picture :\!

Staying Power: Too bad the lasting powder is...bad. Worse than the creamy Almay palette I think.  I don't wear UDPP or shadow bases unless I'm doing something dramatic and these fade very quickly - under 2 hours I'd say. Drugstore shadows certainly don't have the lasting power of upper-end brands like Urban Decay and MAC (and they shouldn't be expected to), but Maybelline and Almay palettes last a respectable 4-5 hours without primers and a good 6-7 hours with a primer.   A shadow that fades under 2 hours is ridiculous.

Colors/Pay-Off: Good, initially. Overall, the colors are very dupable though, look below and you can see it's pretty similar to the Almay intense iColor trio.  The brown in L'Oreal is a tad darker with less shimmer.  As for the L'Oreal beige, it's more sheer than Almay with less shimmer.

Blendability: Blends decently enough but you're dealing with so much fallout it's hard to appreciate this.

Good:
- Good color pay off, initially.
- Blends decently enough.
- Very pretty sheen.
- Very creamy and smooth.

Bad:
- Lots of fallout :P So powdery.
- Not long-lasting.
- Clunky packaging.
Overall
All that said, I may have picked a bad duo.  There's only one review for Darling and it was hated :\ but other color duos have more love.  Personally, I will never re-purchase this duo (I'd return it if I didn't lose the receipt) and I probably won't ever try other duos in this line.  $8 for just 2 colors isn't enough for me to bother :P

Other Hip Duo reviews: Musings of a Muse (really good review), Disflylatina

17 comments :

  1. ahh I can't stand powdery eyeshadows, how when you apply it then your cheekbones have that tinge of shadow cuz some of it falls on it!? it drives me crazy cuz the more you rub it off the more it stays on haha. great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was never interested in this duo anyways~
    when you mentioned maybelline palette not very long lasting in your last post i was iffy
    but yah 6-7 hrs for me most of the time =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just from the pictures at the top I could tell they were dry and powdery. I don't like eye shadows like this. I'm a bit sucky at applying this stuff and it will cover my cheeks and under eye area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i bought this from the cvs sale for 75% off but haven't had the chance to use it yet... i hateee eyeshadow with tons of fall out ! hmph

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard the Crystal Shadow from the HIP line is pretty bad. I heard the others are better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it doesn't seems bad... I usually use duo eyeshadows, I think I'm gonna try...
    have a nice day

    Rosy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a cute pack! I love everything tiny-mini. Lovely review Elle :

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you return products even if you've used them ??!

    Those colours are so beautiful, it's really a pity about the fall out and lack of lasting-power ! ;-/

    Glad to see you're back blogging heaps ;-D haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the DUO!^__^*
    It seems really pigmented!(:
    Great review!<3

    ReplyDelete
  10. The swatches look pretty pigmented but too bad about the fallout and the staying power..

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've tried some Hip duos before and i didnt think there was a fallout problem. maybe only this one. thats sad =(

    ReplyDelete
  12. These duos are ok I have a couple...I don't use them anymore tho...

    ReplyDelete
  13. @mookxi.com yep, that's why I love walmart ^_^ they take back anything, even used. they do ask me why I'm returning it sometimes but I just tell them the truth - that I hated it ^^

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's too bad this duo didn't live up to the hype of the others; I'm a big fan of the HIP duos and this color combination is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These duos are ok I have a couple...I don't use them anymore tho...

    ReplyDelete
  16. The swatches look pretty pigmented but too bad about the fallout and the staying power..

    ReplyDelete
  17. i was never interested in this duo anyways~
    when you mentioned maybelline palette not very long lasting in your last post i was iffy
    but yah 6-7 hrs for me most of the time =]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels