Korea Trip 2010, Part 16: The Busan Museum

4.17.2012


Sooooooooo....it beats me as to what use this travel series will be to anybody since it is literally been TWO YEARS since I was on this trip and I am only HALFWAY through my backlog of pictures. But as god is my witness, I am going to finish this travel series!!!

To recap, since it's been so long fml: I went on a month long trip to Korea in the summer of 2010, with a little pit stop in Japan at the beginning. I took a ton of photos along the way and thought it would be fun to write a series on my trip....basically, Korea through my eyes. I traveled with family so I had no particular plans for my trip, I just went where my relatives took me. Believe it or not, this series shows just a tiny slice of the thousands of photos and many places I went. In a nutshell, Korea is truly a vibrant country, rich in cultural history and full of little nooks and crannies to discover :) Better than kpop and kdramas ;)

I hope this series encourages people to visit Korea; even if you "don't know where to go," I have to say that the best times I had were visiting places like the mall (Shinsaegae will forever blow my mind) or simply wandering aimlessly. Even if this series is a little outdated now, I hope people find these posts useful :)

If you would like to read the last post or start from the beginning, follow the links below.

Continued from Part 15: Love Locks
To start from the beginning go to Part 1: Flying to Tokyo

Otherwise, let's pick up where I left off....

Ahhhh....the quintessential "Korean delivery man" on his motorbike!

The last post recapped my road trip from Seoul to Busan. In Busan, both of my aunts took me to a couple of "tourist-y" places and here is the first: The Busan Museum (website is in English). Busan/Pusan is the 2nd largest city in Korea after Seoul and primarily known as a sea port city. I know lots of peeps like to vacation in Busan - at Haeundae Beach specifically. I got to visit Haeundae but since it was still chilly in Korea, it wasn't crowded. However, looking at these pics, I am happy I missed the rush....


WTF?! I'm not sure if I am more shocked by the number of people there or the fact that the umbrellas are in color coordinated blocks....

Look at that cool chimney!

ahhh...attention span of a flea!  Anyway, here's a pic of a restaurant I saw on my bus ride over to the museum. The hut thing is so cute :)


The Busan Museum is not that large, you could finish going through in 1-2 hours. It is an older building, but well maintained and the landscaping was lovely.


There were A LOT more exhibits, I just didn't take a lot of pics because of the low lighting and well, I just felt like browsing ^_^


Everything in the museum has descriptions in both Korean and English for your browsing pleasure :)  The scrolls are were surprisingly large, maybe 4x6 ft and the amount of detail is exquisite. 


The museum also had a lot of miniatures, which set my dollhouse-loving heart aflutter.


All the figures about the height of my hand, so quite small but very detailed.


However, sometimes miniatures just don't cut it - there were also several life-size exhibits!


A shaman ritual, if I recall correctly.


This was Korea in the 60s...-ish? Maybe 70s?


While I really liked the life size diorama exhibits, but by far the coolest exhibits in the museum (to me) where the life-sized "villages" they had: the video depicts Korea back in the "sae-guk days" (forgive me, my knowledge of Korean history is next to nil) and the pics below show Korea in the 70s/80s.


And here is a town in Korea in the 70s/80s... (gah, I suck at guessing eras!) The lighting was so awful otherwise I would have taken more pics! But see the blue ropes in the lower right corner? The floor actually had a miniature town built under the glass floor so you could see a tiny Korean town :)


Anyway, in the life-size "town," there was a watchmaker, barbershop, and photography studio. I forget if there were other rooms but this was all I took pictures of :P


And that was the end of the museum tour! There were a couple smaller exhibits to look at on your way out but that was the grand finale.


Like I said before, the museum was beautifully landscaped with stone walkways and little pavilions that make you want to put on hanbok and take pictures :)


After the Busan Museum, we headed to our next stop: the United Nations Memorial Cemetery. On the way there we passed the Busan Cultural Center (above), though we did not go in. FYI we walked to all these locations, convenient for us tourists ;)

Onward to Part 17: The United Nations Memorial Cemetery

7 comments :

  1. i love the pictures! Brings back all my summer memories. I know how you feel. I still have pictures from 2011 that I have yet to go through and upload. There's just sooo many. Every summer I try to go to a differant part in Korea. Last year was Jeju Island, next year it's Busan hopefully. I miss the food the most *drool* :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhh I haven't been to Jeju Island yet, though I've heard a thousand times that it is beautiful there. Especially after watching Chuno, I REALLY want to go - the scenery was just gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful pictures! I would love to go there and visit one day. haha at the beach. I love how everything is color coordinated and grouped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohmygosh!!! woah, that beach, it's crazy!!! :O

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
    Poshlocket Giveaway: Win a Shelly Fabric Choker

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I thought I was bad for still showing a vacation from December. I love this though. I think it's super interesting and there's a point where you get to relive the experience too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! Korea looks pretty and very rich in history.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels