The Walking Dead, Green Tea Lattes, and Bodies

12.27.2012


God it feels good to be on vacation!  I feel like the for the past...year or so, I've been running and running without a rest.  Now with an entire week to just lay back, tinker with this blog (layout change woot woot), write a bit, read a little, eat a lot - I'm starting to feel like myself again :)

I will even forgive the squirrel he has hanging off his belt.

Other than fiddling with my blog, I've also been marathoning The Walking Dead, which is in Season 3 atm and just got renewed for another season (nooooooo!  This is when I miss Korean dramas! I hate waiting!!)  Naturally, my favorite character is Daryl - something about his rough edges and heart of gold I suppose aaha  ^_^  The crossbow thing doesn't hurt either *sigh* well, what can I say, Daryl isn't the show's most popular character for nothin ;)  Glenn+Maggie is a close second, mostly because they are self-sufficient and don't get into other people's hair.  And of course Michonne is just wicked!  AWESOME character design and even though she doesn't say a lot, I feel like she has a really interesting story.  Hershel has a soft spot in my heart too - lord knows I would not have been able to stand all the chaos Rick's group brought down on the farm!  He's so forgiving - I think I would have snapped after Shane's antics!   And while he's got that warm, loving air, he's no pushover.  The tidbit with him learning to get around on crutches instead of giving up was surprisingly moving - I just hope he doesn't die soon!   Overall, there are no super annoying characters in Season 3.  Even Carol is turning out to be quite a bad-ass :)  It's good to see a former abuse victim turning out so tough!

In any case, shows like this always make me wonder how I would act if something like a zombie apocalypse happened.  I have very little hand eye coordination so I doubt I'll be able to be solid fighter/leader like Rick and Daryl.  I think I'd end up being more a mix of Glenn and Andrea.   I've got an adventurous streak and apparently I'm missing the fear gene (at least when it comes to exploring), so I think I'd end up being sent down wells *snicker* and being a little emotionally wild like Andrea.   I'd hate being stuck doing girly tasks and probably insist on learning how to shoot.  I would sincerely try my best to be independent as possible though.  I couldn't tolerate having depend on others to survive....  If it was just me and my family, I'd head straight for the coast, try to get a boat, and get offshore as quickly as I could.   I'd drift near city harbors so that I could make supply runs.  If I'm landlocked, I'd probably head for the countryside same as Rick & Co.  If I found a safe haven, I tell myself I wouldn't, but I think I would be prone to killing anyone who found us :\  Fingers crossed I don't pull a Shane.

I'm not sure how I would react if someone I loved got "turned" though.  I get irritated when people cannot just accept when a character gets bit they need to be shot asap, but then...it's not real life.  Quite frankly, I am not sure if my mom would survive a zombie apocalypse >< (though who knows I guess) and I love my dad, I know he'd want me to protect my younger brother even at the expense of his own life.   If I was faced with the decision of having to end someone's life for the 'better' - could I do it? I think I could.  And that thought saddens me a bit.  I love my family dearly...could I really put a bullet in their brain?

ON A HAPPIER NON-ZOMBIE NOTE, I wrote up the last segment of my NYC trip I took in the fall.  I love NYC. It's dirty, crowded, and packed with jaded people, but I do love it.  The vibrancy, the delicious food, the nooks and crannies - it's all very unforgettable.  I can see why people dream of living in NYC.

LT: Up the narrow stairs!  RT: A mobile by the entrance.

One of the places we ate at in NYC was a lovely little tea house called Cha-an.  We did not make reservations and after waiting a bit, we ended up eating at the "bar."


It was cooler eating at the bar actually because you get to see into the kitchen in the back and everything going on behind the counter. It all seemed super authentic - everyone was speaking Japanese and they have a genuine tea ceremony 2-3x a week in their tea room.  They are actually quite famous for their teas so we had to try some :)!


Unsurprisingly, the one I picked was pretty terrible, but I highly recommend the Matcha Latte, which came with a scoop of red bean! 


My friends got the lunch specials, which they said were really delish.


I got the Cha-an Set B and everything was definitely very good.  The tofu soup reminded me of miyuk-gook and though I hate rice mixed with grains, even the 15 grain rice was mighty tasty!  Each portion was a decent size too, bigger than Japanese standards I think, but very light and perfectly filling.


We also had the dessert spread and the ice cream and little cheesecake-y thing were the best desserts I had in a long time!  Overall, all the desserts were well-made and not too sweet - typical of Asian desserts I suppose.  The only truly not delicious thing I ate was that white mound in the pic above.  Some soybean thing - BLEH.  That one was legit gross - grainy and flavorless.

Healthy eaters will really love this place; everything is well portioned and wholesome.  This place is on the way to The Bodies exhibit (below), so this is the perfect lunch spot if you're in the area!


After lunch, we stopped by famous The Bodies exhibition!  The NYC exhibit is in the Financial district/way downtown Manhattan and you should definitely walk there because finding parking was a bitch :P   Unfortunately, we couldn't take pics inside but everything we saw was unforgettable.

Even at $26.50/ticket, it was well worth it, though, the exhibit is surprisingly small/short.   It ended a lot more quickly than I expected...  In any case, the highlight of the exhibit were fetuses that they had encased in glass from 5 weeks old all the way into the final week of birth.  It was mind-blowing to see how a tiny fetus, no larger than a pinky nail, already has individual fingers!  That section of the exhibit alone was worth the cost of ticket.....  Each fetus looked so human yet eerily alien with their transparent skin, hair-like veins, and blood filled eyelids....how strange, beautiful and fragile life is....  If you are in NYC, this is a definite must-see.


Just some random sights of NYC~


On our last day in the city, we ate breakfast at French Roast in Greenwich Village.   My friend highly recommended the poached eggs, but I was in a fruity mood so I just got the greek yogurt+fruit.  It was good, though I could have probably made the same thing at home.  Overall, nice ambiance and a good breakfast place!


We also stopped by one those hole-in-a-wall book shops~  We're all readers so we ended up staying here for quite awhile!  I confess I don't like used books very much because books are too "intimate" to me....I like my books to smell like me if that makes any sense >.<


This kid is so bad-ass, I'll just let this picture do the talking ;) Oh New York ^_^ And that's all for now!  Now back to watching Walking Dead.... ah....it's so great to be able to blog more often....:)

2 comments :

  1. Nyum, the matcha latte looks yummy~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! All the food pictures are making me hungry. I agree with your assessment of the characters of the Walking Dead. It's hands down my FAVORITE SHOW!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels