Travel Now, Think Later

3.21.2013

Carved giraffes from Livingstone, Zambia.

As someone who's plastered herself all over Blogger, YT and Twitter, it's ironic that I always feel a twinge of worry when I type 'personal' posts... What a bundle of contradictions I am.

Anyway, Julie and I booked flights to Mexico last week! Now that the tix are bought and hotel booked, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.


Made in Sculpture class in High School.
It's not the best thing I've ever made, but I have a strange sentimental attachment to this figurine.
I call her, "Wistful."

In high school, I always thought I'd be one of those fearless, always-on-the-go, nomadic creatures. But life's a tricky thing and 10 years later, I'm rather dismayed to see I've turned out to be a stability-seeking, worrywart, grumpy homebody. I could blame the economy, the government whatever, but I'm still this - everything I never wanted to be.

Feelings of regret and disappointment over who I am today hit me really hard earlier this year. I realized that I am straight on the path to becoming a bitter, grouchy, close-minded corporate rat. And the worst thing is that if I don't start living - really living with all the boundless enthusiasm of someone who loves life - life will never be more than this.

Botswana? Soapstone hippos - they foam up when you get them wet :)

I started out 2013 deciding that if I travel to at least 1 overseas country this year, that would be enough. But you know what...it's not. Mexico will hopefully be just the first of 3 countries I visit this year. I don't think I'm cut out to be a long-term traveler because despite everything, my heart belongs to my family and I need an anchor, a home to keep me from losing my way. But I also know for sure that I am not and never will be content if I don't see more of the world.

Painted in Disney World, Florida

So, that's why I'm going to Mexico. It's not just a place, it's a milestone. This is the first of many more places I will visit in my life. It symbolizes a paradigm shift, the realization that if I want to see more of the world, I need to stop putting 'travel' at the bottom of my list of priorities.

Namdaemun Market, Seoul, South Korea

Logically, I know that I'm still young, that I still have years left to travel. But it seems like people always regret not traveling, rather than traveling too much. Someone once told me: We spend our childhoods longing to be adults because they seem to have so much freedom. Then we spend our adulthood reminiscing about the freedoms of childhood.  And in the winter of our lives we realize, we were free all along - that the only chains that held us fast were the ones we imagined.

Sergeant-at-Arms Challenge Coin

So, yeah. No more enviously looking through other people's travel posts. No more pinning hotels to Pinterest that I know I'll never stay in. No more talking about traveling, but never leaving my desk.

No more.

Here's to Mexico!

5 comments :

  1. Have a lovely and safe trip to Mexico! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny what getting older does to us. Life certainly gets in the way of living the lives we planned. I think your plan is fantastic - one country a year is VERY good, and the fact that you'll be going to 3 this year is amazing. I hope you have a wonderful time in Mexico - stay safe, don't eat tacos at the taco stand, and put LOTS of sunscreen on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just hear the motivation and hope you put into this post. It's gonna be awesome.

    7% Solution​

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww, i am so excited for you, elle! here's to traveling! :D

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
    Win a pair of Saltwater Sandals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree! If you ever venture down south, feel free to catch up with me! Have a nice holiday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels