Review: Urban Decay Naked Flushed

5.12.2013


I've been keen to find the "perfect" bronzer for years.  The magical way bronzer can make your face seem more contoured and well, more bronzed always appealed to me, so when I saw the rave reviews of UD's Flushed palette, I pounced!

Go ahead…get Naked and FLUSHED with our silky bronzer, highlighter and blush. Then bask in the radiant glow and let people wonder what you've been up to. Talk about a hot little threesome – a SILKY bronzer, highlighter and blush in a sleek, travel-ready compact. Just try to resist the urge to experiment. Use these silky pressed powders individually or blend them together to create just the right effect – and let this seemingly straight-laced trio morph into a tangled color love fest. Then bask in the radiant glow and let people wonder what you've been up to. 
Our micronized, jet-milled formula has a luxe, featherlight texture that feels amazing on your skin. And the finish? Flawless. Light-diffusing particles enhance and perfect to give your skin a fresh, glowy look (even when your late-night antics have you feeling anything but). The color is intensely pigmented yet blends beautifully – and the universal shades are versatile enough for any skin tone.  
It all comes in a sleek case with an easy-open magnetic closure and a big mirror. It's compact enough for travel or mid-date touch-ups, but don’t let that fool you. With a much larger fill weight than similar products on the market, this trio gives you a lot of bang for your buck. 
What You See Is What You Get: Bronzer (medium bronze satin), Highlighter (soft pink champagne shimmer) and Blush (dusty rose satin with a hint of shimmer).

Cost: $30 USD at Urban Decay or Sephora

Packaging: Superb!  Very well-made and it makes a satisfying click when you shut it.  The mirror size is generous and the shimmery casing is very classy.  No complaints.

The mirror isn't dirty, I just didn't take the plastic covering off.

Texture: All 3 are very finely milled.  However, the bronzer and highlighter tend to flake a bit and shift around to the other colors.  The highlighter and blush blend the best, the bronzer slightly less well.

Color/Pigmentation: All the colors, including the highlighter, are highly pigmented.

In fact, the highlighter has such a pigmented pink champagne shimmer that I don't really see how it could be used as a highlighter for anyone with pale (NC25 or less) or cool toned skin.  Since the highlighters has a faint rose tint to it, it really looks like an eye shadow.

The blush is a dusky rose color that would likely be flattering on many skin tones. It's nothing special, but it's generally a fail-safe color. It's not particularly flattering on me, but it will do in a pinch. Again, it's very pigmented and you need to use a very light touch.

The bronzer tries very hard to be be the perfect tan, but I swear it looks rather orange on my NC25 skin.  Also bronzer is so easy to over-apply, so I personally prefer it when it's NOT very pigmented, so that I can carefully build the color.  It's likely due to my own crappy makeup skills, but this is very easy to over apply.

Both pix are exactly the same, just at slightly different angles.
Both swatches are just one, very light swipe with my finger w/o primer.
Note the bronzer accentuating the bumps on my skin and the faint orange undertint.

Experience: Holding this is always a pleasure - the packaging is just excellent! It feels very weighty and luxe in my hand.   I also like how compact and convenient it is to have 3 things in 1 perfectly designed case.

However, actually using it is another story.  The highlighter is actually a complete 'no' for me; it's way too pink and even with the lightest touch, it looks like I am using eye shadow.

The blush itself is alright, but I am lukewarm about it because 1.) I rarely use blush 2.) it is extremely easy to over apply because it is SO pigmented and 3.) when I do use blush, my R&R blushes are just so much more flattering on my skin.  This has a warm reddish undertone that doesn't look very natural on my skin - it's ok for emergencies, but not my preference.

There are three things I don't like about the bronzer:
  1. The bronzer is the "flakiest" of the three and little grains tend to shift into the highlighter and blush.  Over time, the highlighter especially became even more unusable because it picked up a brown tint.
  2. It blends the least well of the three and catches on any bumps or dry skin flakes.
  3. It looks orange on me.  It's not as bad as other bronzers I've tried but I am POSITIVE it looks orange on my NC25 skin.
Over time, everything in this palette picked up an orange tint from the bronzer.  While it's great having all 3 of these things in 1 palette in theory, I think a bronzer has to be in it's own case :\

Overall
Beautiful packaging aside, I didn't like this palette very much.   Everyone else seems to be raving about it, so maybe I'm missing something, but I think the bronzer was too orange, the highlighter too pink, and the blush way too pigmented and not that pretty on my NC25 skin.

Though I'm definitely in the minority, I personally wouldn't recommend this to anyone with NC25 skin...or anyone with very pale skin and a cool skin tone actually. I think this palette will work best on those with warm skin tones and NC30+ skin.

Sadly, my experience with bronzers has been lukewarm at best; the Neutrogena one sucked and I stopped using NARS Laguna because the fallout from the blush changed the color.  So, the hunt continues...!

What bronzers have you tried?
Any recommendations?

4 comments :

  1. great review. shame to hear that the bronzer looked orange. i am NC25 too - so will definitely have to swatch this before picking it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a huge bummer about the bronzer :c
    I don't use bronzers so I can't really
    give your recommendation... Ermm try
    MAC? :P Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe it or not, but the bronzer I'm currently using is from E.L.F. ;) It's doable for now being that it was only $2-$3, and the color stays on all day. I use it with a highlighter as well to bring out more of my cheek bones.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels