August 18, 2013

VLOG: From USA to Korea

I spent the weekend in Hongdae and it was awesome - but I am so friggin exhausted!  We did a lot of fun stuff like going to a cat cafe, singing at a noraebang, and listening to indie artists at midnight but my god did it involve a lot of walking >_< Also the jimjilbang we stayed at, Happy Days, was by far one of the worst jimjilbangs I've ever been to :P It was very crowded (which I didn't mind), but it was SO SO HOT. I swear they had the HEAT on or something - I was sweating in the lounge within 5 minutes...I considered sleeping in the ice room (there were a few people who slept right next to it in the narrow hallway), but I figured that wasn't safe so I just spent a restless 3 hours tossing and turning, sweating, and waking up every 1/2 hour feeling like I was suffocating from the heat.  But ah well - CULTURAL EXPERIENCE xD  Also it was rather dirty....I can tell the owners don't care too much about quality since they are in a prime real estate location - right next to Hongik Uni and Hongdae and no doubt get boatloads of tourists and weekend partiers crashing in every night.

Luggage cart at Incheon :)

Tho I've been to a jimjilbang several times, the sleeping together in one giant room experience still fascinates me - there is something strange yet comforting about sleeping in a room filled with hundreds of strangers....of flopping a leg across someone you never met....it's all so familial.  You don't know each other but for one night we're sleeping side by side ^_^ I don't know what I'm trying to say, but I rather like it...though I worry about farting in my sleep sometimes :\

Handprints and sigs of famous actors at Incheon Airport! In the video I compare my hand to Lee Young Ae's (Jewel in the Palace)...we have almost the same hand size ^_^

Anyway - Hongdae was a lot of fun! I totally understand why young people love the place - the air is just filled with creativity and vibrance!  Young people selling their handmade items, playing music, posting art everywhere.  I only wish I came earlier and got to live in Hongdae....I think I am a little old for the place quite frankly, but being there makes me feel young again!



And oh yeah...this vlog isn't about Hongdae xD  I'm a little behind on my vlogs; this one is about my journey from the US to Korea....see the video above to come along for the ride ;)

And thank you everyone who entered my giveaway ^_^ I'll post the winners later this week!

6 comments

  1. So happy to see that you're settling in in Korea, so exciting. Love the videos and keep them coming. Thanks for sharing this new adventure with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your vlog!! Please keep them coming! ♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh I wish I could go to Korea! Love your video Elle :) The jimjilbang thing sounds very interesting - though I don't know if I would be very comfortable sleeping in a room with strangers haha. It sounds like a great cultural experience though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love 홍대! Definitely a place of creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! What an amazing airport! Definitely a place worth spending time at. I'm glad you're having a good time. It's a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. when will u post the winner?

    ReplyDelete