Studio Ghibli Exhibition in Seoul

12.07.2014


Back in September I had a chance to check out the Studio Ghibli Exhibition in Seoul, South Korea. I'm a huge Miyazaki fan, so I thought I was going to die of happiness xD It was a pretty expensive exhibit and rather small, but totally worth it. If you're in Korea I totally recommend checking it out! It runs till March 2015 at I'Park Mall in Seoul (more info).


The exhibit was a little hard to find...it was a little tucked away. Just look for Modern House on the map and you'll get there.


First up - Howl's Moving Castle! The castle actually moves and makes noises! There was also a life size setup of Calcifer's fire pit and the living room. It was quite detailed, but also very dark so it was really hard to take proper pictures. If you hold the frying pan's handle it makes sizzling noises!

Besides life size exhibits, there's lots of little holes to poke your head into to see optical illusions - like the endless field of flowers.


Princess Mononoke is one of my favorite movies ever, sadly the exihbit only had one room devoted to it :( I couldn't take a picture of it, but they had the Forest God behind a screen with a cool light show that really added to the ambiance!

Just realized I put in the same picture twice. Argh!

Another classic! The My Neighbor Totoro exhibit had a lifesize tree with knotholes to peek into. You can actually see Totoro breathing and occasionally hear a snore. Really fun ^_^ And then of course, there was a setup of the famous rain scene! It was really hard to get a decent shot because the light was constantly shifting to simulate a rainstorm. It was really cool. I really felt like I was in the movie ^_^


A quick look at Porco Rosso, a very underrated movie imho, and Pom Poko, which I am ashamed to say I haven't seen.


The last exhibit was devoted to the ever famous Spirited Away! Yubaba looked awesome - I felt like I was in the movie! The No-Face Rampage scene was also very well done and you got a chance to take a picture in the famous railway scene with No-Face.


This was my favorite picture of the day because it looks like I am really on the bridge with Chihiro. They made the castle bend backwards to give it the illusion of largeness.

While I was sad that some of my other favorite Miyazaki movies like Kiki's Delivery Service, Whispers of the Heart, or The Secret World of Arrietty didn't have exhibits, but I still really enjoyed the experience. A must see for anyone who grew up watching his movies :)


The exhibit ended with a gift shop (SO EXPENSIVE) and a chance to draw on a sticker and stick it on the wall. I swear, most of the visitors must moonlight as manga artists, especially the person who drew the stickers in the upper right corner. I tried to draw Calcifer but he just turned out drunk looking. Ah well~

4 comments :

  1. wahh I wish I were there too~~
    I wonder if haku in dragon form is also there! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I would've known about this during the summer I would have totally went! Love you pictures! Looks like it was a great exhibit, especially being that I'm a Miyazaki fan as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH this sounds like such an amazing experience! Wish this exhibit opened a month earlier, was in Korea all summer. Would have loved to see this :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, this is amazing! I went to a Studio Ghibli exhibition in HK, but it featured the original drawings used in the production of each animation. This is equally as amazing - I'm also a huge Miyazaki fan!! Spirited Away is one of my favourite movies so that bridge is pretty impressive :P I'm so gutted he will no longer be doing any more Studio Ghibli animations :( Xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels